While testing the SQL pass through with the Insight Engine I was unable to query dynamic shards from share or the SQL pass through. Here are the steps to reproduce:
1) Startup a repo with bat and turn on dynamic sharding from the admin console.
2) Startup two Solr shards and have them track the repo. Configure the shared.properties and solrcore.properties for each shard.
3) Wait to see the shards register in the dynamic sharding admin screens.
4) Search from share or the sql pass through. In both cases the queries will be directed to the Solr instance registered on the search service admin screen rather then the registered shards.
5) Restart the repo and try again. In my testing the queries continue to go to the registered Solr instance on the search service screen.
A screenshot is attached showing the registered shards in the dynamic sharding screen, when queries are being sent to wrong Solr instance.