When a user that is not owner/creator of a document access a document that need a thumbnail generated, the last modified date and modifier changes.
How to reproduce
1. Start a new repo with the Sample site generated. Do not enter the sample site yet.
2. As admin create a new user, lets call it UserA.
3. Add UserA to sample site as Contributor member
4. Log in with UserA, enter Sample site, go to folder Agency Files/Images.
5. Switch Document Library view to Filmstrip view. Browse the files
6. Select one of the files in document details. Check the modifier userid and modified data
Expected: Modifier and Modified date should be unchanged.
Actual: The modifier is set to UserA and modified date is changed to the time you browsed the folder.
This is breaking audit for a document as UserA has not changed the document. Many extensions we build rely on the date and doing searches for document that changes. It probably will have an impact on the upcoming virtual folders if someone use modifier/modified date in the virtual folder listing.
It may also be a regression, I think this has worked before but not sure when it last worked.
I've tested this on Enterprise 188.8.131.52 and Community 5.0.d