Groups with long names (greater than 94 characters) cannot be added to a Site folder or document. The Share GUI allows Groups with names as long as 100 characters. When a group is added to a Site folder or document, Alfresco prefixes the group name with "GROUP_" and attempts to insert the group into the table ALF_AUTHORITY. However the AUTHORITY column is only 100 characters long and an error is raised.
Steps to Reproduce
1. Install Alfresco Out of the Box
2. As Admin via Admin Tools -> Users and Groups -> Groups create a group with a Group name longer than 94 characters (e.g. "this_is_a_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_very_long_name")
NOTE: The field´s max length is limitted to 100 characters (see attached maxLength.png)
3. Create a site
4. In the site´s document library create a folder or a document
5. Run the "Manage permissions" action for the folder or document
6. Attempt to add the group created in step 2 to the folder or document (the role for the group does not matter for this scenario)
The below error is reported:
"Failed to save permissions: Server error . Details can be found in the server logs."
See also attached errorUI.png.
The group should be added successfully.
1. This issue was reported by a customer on Alfresco One 188.8.131.52, but the issue also still exists in latest Alfresco One 5.1.1
2. Attached Alfresco 4.2 logs (alfresco.log) and Alfresco 5.1.1 logs (alfresco-5.1.1.log)
The logs show the below error:
The Share UI should limit the max length of the Group name while creation (i.e. not limit maxlength to 100 but to 94 in order to add the suffix) or the ALF_AUTHORITY table has to be changed to increase the size of the AUTHORITY column to 106.