We have two issues here:
1) Provided PDF.pdf doesn't allow copying
This is closly related to this issue:
2) Error: Unknown character collection 'Adobe-Japan1' during attempt to convert pdf to swf using pdf2swf tool.
To avoid point (1) to be able to continue investigation of point (2) I have used the
first googled tool by systoolsgroup dot com.
There are steps to force swftool properly convert unlocked PDF.pdf file:
1) Install Alfresco Enterprise v3.4.8(568) schema 4208 using bitrock installer.
2) Download Japanese support package from (Language Support Packages)
3) edit swf-transform-context.xml (please take no notice of hardcoded path, it's just for tests)
Content of D:/Alfresco/swftools/japanese
4) Restart Alfresco
I bealive that we can include Language Support Packages provided by http://www.foolabs.com in to bitrock installer
to avoid this and similar issues with other languages.
AFAIK the issue is also reproducible on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit but not sure about other *nix supported OS's seems also reprodicible.