A non-electron record (ie a physical document) can often be "checked out" or borrowed from the records physical storage location.
When this happens it would be useful to be able to indicate on the record that it has been borrowed. (ie is now in the hands of someone and not in its normal physical storage location)
Some additional meta-data could be added to the current non-electronic record to support this:
- Indication of the borrowing policy (ie, who, if anyone, can borrow the document)
- Return period (ie how long can someone borrow this record for)
Some of the meta-data that would be useful to capture when borrowed includes:
- email address of borrower
- time/date of borrow
- expected return date (may not be set to indicate no limit on return)
- Alfresco user name of borrower (if applicable)
- reason for borrow (optional)
RM search can then be extended to show borrowed records, in particular those that are overdue (ie past their agreed borrow date).
Notifications (eg email, workflows) could be sent when records become overdue.