- As a consumer of the Community edition, the transformation of office formats should be as reliably as the Enterprise version.
There should be no need to restart the content services repository or invent schemes to restart the soffice process regularly to achieve this.
- As an Alfresco employee, developing, documenting, testing, or supporting the office format transformations in the content services repository they should be simple to understand and describe.
The ooo.direct and jodconverter transformers produce identical results (as they both use Libreoffice for the actual transformation), need to have almost identical configuration, but in the case of the community edition is less reliably. The complexity of having 2 sets of office transformations is adding complexity, overhead and in the case of ooo.direct a lower quality product.
- The Community's ooo.direct transformer should be replaced by the jodconverter currently used by Enterprise.
- Community and Enterprise documentation needs to be changed to reflect this change. This includes:
- As JODConverter is no longer being actively supported as a 3rd party library, we need to bring our patched version of it into our GitHub repository.
- Allow the existing ooo.direct transformer properties (starting with "content.transformer.OpenOffice.") to alias/override the jodconverter properties (starting with "content.transformer.JodConverter."), so that community systems continue to behave as they do currently.
If not achieved, alfresco-global.properties would require a simple search replace edit on upgrade. The 'OpenOffice' aliases should be documented as deprecated so they may be removed at some point in the future.