User 1 creates Site 1 as Public.
User 1 creates a file and a folder in Site 1.
User 2 creates Site 2 as Private.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. User 2 logs into Share and navigates to Site 1 > Doclib. (User 2 has not joined the site yet)
2. User 2 creates short cut links to file and folder in Site 1 > Doclib into Site 2 > Doclib
3. User 1 amends the Site 1 to be a Moderated Site
4. User 2 is unable to view the short cut links at this point - as expected, as he is not a site member of the moderated site (Site 1), where the original content is.
5. User 1 amends the permissions on the Site 1 > Document Library such that <Inherit permissions> is selected. Saves the changes.
6. User 2 now able to view the short cut links again, although he has not joined the moderated site.
7. Login as User 2 and try to locate / view the original item by clicking on the short cut link.
8. Login as User 2 and try to view the Site 1 > Document Library.
In Step 7 above, User 2 can view the original item although User 2 is not a member of moderated Site.
Screenshot shows site visibility as Moderated and <Request to Join> option for User 2.
In Step 8 above, User 2 can not see / access the Site 1 > Document library but can access content using the short cut links he has created before.